City walls: Various layers in the town walls encompassing the town completely, and preserved even today, were built between the Illyrian period and the fall of Venice. The first record of today’s walls dates from the time before Christ. The last important extension to the walls occurred at the end of the 15th century.
Kaštel: The Frankopan fortress was built in the period between the 12th and 14th centuries, mentioned in the reports by the Venetian providore. The fortress has a number of purposes, such as protecting the town against attacks from the seaside, and the square rook serving as a courthouse. The height of the walls is 9m.
Kamplin: The name of the square is derived from the Latin word campus, meaning field. During Roman times, a training area was located here close to the thermal spas. The remnants of the temple columns at the square gives witness to a large building from Roman times.
Rook on the Shoreline: A six-sided rook with western and southern wall sections dating from the Middle Ages. Prince Nikola Frankopan had it constructed in 1407. This is recorded by the inscription and family emblem engraved into the Roman tombstone from the respective century and a presentation of the couple.
Town Council Hall: On the ground-floor of this rook structure from the 15th century, there city doors existed. The rook was constructed by the islanders without paid wages. Located on its eastern wall is the emblem of duke Augustin Barbaring. Under it is the clock with 24 fields first mentioned in 1538.
Vela Market Place: This is the only town square preserving the characteristics of a square. It is first mentioned in 1263. The six-sided well on the square dates from the 16th century. Under the square is a valuable archaeological site, revealing otherwise, the oldest part of the town walls dating from the 4th to 3rd century B.C.
The Large Town Doors: Once the town became encompassed by walls, these doors became the main entrance to the town from the seaside, increasing so because they were originally positioned to the south, at the end of the decumano, as well as the square itself. They are mentioned in 1350.
Greetings from Krk (Island of Krk)